The German Ladies' General Benevolent Society was established in September 1870 when a group of women from prominent German families residing in San Francisco came together. Their goal was to form an organization to provide much-needed aid to needy German women and children who were new to California.
We have continued to thrive for more than 140 years with our membership of over 250 women of German descent. The Society has continually distributed assistance to needy women and children living on the edge of poverty.
As a non-profit organization, our mission is to provide short-term emergency financial assistance and support to needy women and children of German origin or descent who reside in the San Francisco Bay Area. Although we don’t provide scholarships or grants, we are able to help many women in need every year.
Since 1870, countless women have graciously volunteered their time and donated their resources to help our organization thrive.